Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Percepolis

       Learning that we would be reading Percepolis kind of excited me. In a different class I have we are going to be reading it in the future but this gives me a reason to read it sooner. Flipping first through this book I got kind of sad about the illustrations on the inside. They are very simplistic in a sense that it looks like a little girl or boy created them. Which is defiantly a big part in the book. The book is based around the islamic revolution but really has to do with a little girl named Marji. It is her story that is told through her eyes and how she sees the world around her. The fact that when we first meet her in the novel she is only ten years old and yet knows so much about the world around her. The fact that she is muslim and wants to be a prophet. Then throughout the book she learns more and more of the hard times that are going on. As she grows up she sees people in her family die, and people get tortured. She also had seen people be tortured.
          One of the most shocking things that I thought was rather interesting was when Marji learned about people getting tortured and the stories that her fathers friends told. After learning about these stories she goes out to play with her friends and she comes up with a game that has to do with torture. This just intrigued me because why would she go out and play torture with her friends when she knows its such a horrible thing. Thinking this over I came to the conclusion that children cope with their surroundings. It was just something that was going around them in their world and its all they knew, so they appropriated it into games. 
          Over all with starting this graphic memoir I was kind of disappointed with the illustrations and the story line didn't catch me all that much. Once I actually got into the book I found that I couldn't stop reading it. It was almost addicting in the childish way that she portrayed the characters. It fit perfectly and the story was intriguing. To learn about Marjis life and experiences through a graphic memoir was defiantly and interesting read. I have never read a graphic novel like that and would defiantly want to see the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment