Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Octopus Pie

            This by far had to be my most favorite in the entire class. Octopus Pie is simple and easy to read with very nice and flat illustrations. At first I didn't think I was going to like it due to the simple and 'manga' type illustrations but I think it totally adds to the story. It is an on going online graphic novel that is simple and hilarious. I actually found myself laughing aimlessly to this alone in my room (which is kind of sad) but I could not stop clicking the next button. Eve and her roommate are complete opposites. Eve seems to be very introverted and kind of angry, she keeps everything to herself or tries to, and everything gets disrupted and backwards when her roommate shows up. Her roommate is a girl she knew in kindergarten and she is defiantly a hippie flower child and I think her boyfriend is just the funniest one of them all with his little quirky side comments. 
              You really get a feeling for the characters and you really can get a hold on their personalities and the story is really easy to follow. It is basically just their lives in the city and what interesting adventures they get into. One part that I thought was really funny and interesting was when Eve and her roommate and boyfriend went to the park and her roommate took off her shirt and they dealt with nudity and woman's rights. So they deal with real life complications and issues but do it in a funny way. Even when Eve attempts to find love but goes through many struggles its relatable. 
                I think Octopus pie is an amazing online graphic novel. It has been the first one that I have read and I am hoping to finish it and continue reading it as it continues. The simple black and white illustrations suit the mood and the story line very well, although I wonder what it would look like with a minimal color palate. I'm hoping to find more online graphic novels over break to read because I have really enjoyed this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment